Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Down the Shore

When I grew up in the Bronx and we went to visit my grandparents and go to Coney Island or went driving out to Long Island's south shore for a day of fun in the sun, we "went to the beach". In New Jersey, you don't go to the beach - you go "down the shore".

As I blogged earlier, we were down at Cape May Point this weekend, the most relaxing place I know. The weather was fine - though the ocean is still pretty cold - and the drive was easy (about 2.5-3 hours from NYC down Jersey's Garden State Pkwy to Exit 0, which is kind of cool). We went to the beach, sunned and read, grilled our dinners (and ate lots of fresh corn), drank Vodka tonics, and generally had a fine time.

Our driving music included Down The Shore, a burn I put together a few years ago for that specific purpose as well as to commemorate the Jersey Shore and the cycle of a beach summer in general, and which is also today's CD. It starts out in the hot city, and concludes with songs of summer's end (except for the last track, a novelty song that traces the drive to Cape May from Sea Isle City). It's a pretty eclectic mix with a mild emphasis on the late 50's. Here's the track listing (my notes are in red):

  1. Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoonful
  2. Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
  3. Summertime, Summertime - The Jamies
  4. Under the Boardwalk - The Drifters
  5. One Summer Night - The Danleers
  6. Hot Fun in the Summertime - Sly & The Family Stone
  7. Love Letters in the Sand - Patsy Cline not Pat Boone
  8. Fourth of July, Asbury Park - Richard Shindell a fine acoustic version
  9. Atlantic City - The Band
  10. Wildwood Days - Bobby Rydell
  11. Jersey Girl - Bruce Springsteen I actually like Tom Waits' version better - but not on this disc
  12. Summertime - Willie Nelson
  13. Theme From a Summer Place - Percy Faith one of the great slow dance tunes of my youth
  14. Summer Lovin' - Grease yes, it definitely belongs here
  15. Sea 0f Love - Phil Phillips
  16. A Pirate Looks At Forty a/k/a Mother Ocean - Jimmy Buffet I'm no parrot-head, but I like this song
  17. Ebb Tide - The Righteous Brothers
  18. All Summer Long - The Beachboys of course
  19. Remember Walkin' In the Sand - The Shangri-las
  20. Sand in My Shoes - The Drifers Boardwalk revisited
  21. Boys of Summer - Don Henley
  22. Back to the Island - Leon Russell an all-time favorite song
  23. On The Way to Cape May - Al Alberts

1 Comments:

Blogger DJStan said...

Thanks, eva. I'll post some of my other mixes when I play them. Some of the sets get kind of weird (a whole CD of songs about shoes, for example, called "Foot Fetish" - and another of music about death called "Momento Mori"). They're fun, though, both to make and listen to. I'll try and post some cover shots as well; making the covers is part of the deal.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home